How to Simulate a Furry Convention at Home (CCP Virus Edition)
1- 11 By Acton
The inspiration for this came from a joke how to simulate Navy Shipboard Life at sea. http://www.midwaysailor.com/military/shiplife.html
2020 note I originally wrote this almost 10 years ago. I decided to revise this in the light many con postponed or canceled because of the of the Coronavirus
- Rearrange furniture, in the bedroom place one bed, couch, and TV; this is the hotel room. Designate other areas for panels. Because of Stay at homes will be phones or laptops showing YouTube panels. The required simulation events are opening and closing ceremonies, one fursuiting 101 panels, and optional furry sexuality panel at night. Be sure to schedule at least six virtual panels. At the start of the simulation flip the start of panel one with panel six and cancel panel three. Start panel four 15 minutes late and run into the time slotted for panel five.
- Invite three other friends to join along; one of the friends must not bathe during the simulation weekend. Unless they are your roommates, you may use Zoom or skype.
- At night, all must use the same room, two of your friends share the bed, One gets the couch and you get the floor. At random times, one friend acts loud and drunk or any proper disturbance. For COVID-19 have your virtual roommates call you at all hours at night to simulate room interruptions. Use plushies to simulate the other roommates.
- Spend the day walking up and down the hallways, at random times, make idle chatter. The designate hallway can only have one chair. Spend random time sitting on the floor. In the hallway, have a stand with only two pints of bottle water and a bucket of ice per day. You or friends need to drink both by 12:00pm; no other water may be provided.
- Do not cook during the simulation, ether eat only cold cuts or junk food, you may designate an area of the simulation area as a con suite with snack foods sandwiches, and salads. Order takeout only from Denny’s. Got to a webpage of an expensive restaurant you know you can’t afford to simulate the Hotel’s restaurant.
- Wear any old con badges you have or make one up, ditto with old con t-shirts. One of you must be in tail and ears.
- On Saturday morning, only eat cold cereal while watching cartoons.
- Designate one space as a dance floor, at 9:00pm; close all the windows and set up a few flashing color lights and a disco ball. This place is best adjacent to “hotel room” Use a loud stereo and only play techno; one may play the part as the DJ. Only one fur at a time is allowed on the dance floor, fursuit optional and must have glow sticks on hand. Dance simulation must last from 9:00pm till 2:00am each night of the simulation. One night try to sleep in hotel room with dance simulation running.
- If possible, one friend or you will be in fursuit, at random times glomp, scritch, pose and take pictures without asking the fursuiter. If no fursuiter, large plushies can simulate fursuiters and the fursuit parade. For COVID-19 just run any pat fursuit parade video.
- Congested Network Simulation: downgrade broadband connection as slow as possible. Use three computers and router. Set route to DHCP Server enable with only two users and lease time of two hours. Connect two computers to router and have them do high broadband consumption task like a bit torrent or streaming videos. The third computer is yours and attempt to go on the net with other two computers running.
- Each simulator participant need to have a sketch book, during the con simulation each must pay for a good drawing, beg or trade for a drawing and receive a drawing in the sketchbook that looks like a three year old did it, and pay or trade for a third drawing but instead of a drawings, a note will be left in the sketch book explaining the artist is busy and will do the sketch after the convention.
More than four can participate; they can serve as GOH, panelist, staff and others. This simulation can be use for Anime or SF cons too.